STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY AMBASSADOR KINGSLEY J.N. MAMABOLO, PERMANENT REPRESENTATIVE OF THE REPUBLIC OF SOUTH AFRICA TO THE UNITED NATIONS AND CHAIR OF THE GROUP OF 77, ON THE ORGANIZATION OF WORK OF THE FIRST PART OF THE RESUMED SIXTY-NINTH SESSION OF THE FIFTH COMMITTEE OF THE UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY (New York, 2 March 2015)
1. I have the honour to speak on behalf of the Group of 77 and China on the organization of work for the first part of the resumed 69th session of the Fifth Committee.
2. Since my delegation is addressing this Committee as Chair of the Group of 77 and China for the first time, I would like to take this opportunity to reiterate the full support of the Group for you and the other members of the Bureau. We have full confidence that under your chairmanship, the Committee will reach a successful conclusion to its work in this session.
3. The Group of 77 and China thanks you and the Bureau for providing the programme of work and the status of preparedness of documentation contained in document A/C.5/69/L.30. The Group notes that this is a provisional programme of work and we trust the Bureau to continue reviewing and updating it during the session.
4. The Group is committed to a thorough consideration of the agenda items allocated to the Committee, including items deferred from the previous session such as the Capital Master Plan and Human Resources Management.
5. The Group of 77 and China continues to be concerned over the status of the documentation for the session. The late issuance of important reports has been a chronic problem affecting the work of this Committee. We reiterate that the timely submission of reports from the Secretariat and the ACABQ in all official languages, according to the Rules of Procedure of the General Assembly, are critical for the Committee's work. We stress that the failure to submit reports in time hinders the ability of the Committee to effectively undertake and complete its work.
6. In conclusion, Mr. Chairman, the Group of 77 and China is ready to consider and conclude the items before us within the timeframe of the Programme of Work. We reiterate our full cooperation and constructive engagement with you and our partners to arrive at a successful outcome for this session.
Thank you, Mr. Chairman.