STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY MS. HELENA YANEZ LOZA, MINISTER AND DEPUTY PERMANENT REPRESENTATIVE OF ECUADOR TO THE UNITED NATIONS, AT THE INFORMAL BRIEFING OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY ON PREPARATIONS FOR THE 2017 G20 SUMMIT (New York, 6 February 2017)
1. I have the honor to make this statement on behalf of the Group of 77 and China.
2. At the outset, please allow me to express our appreciation to you for convening this meeting as well as for the valuable information provided.
3. Since their adoption, the Group has played an active role in ensuring the successful implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Addis Ababa Action Agenda, based on a constructive and principle approach through negotiations directed to reach a consensus for the follow up and review of 2030 Agenda at the global level, as well as for other major UN conferences such as the Paris Agreement and the New Urban Agenda and the adoption by the General Assembly of the QCPR resolution until 2019.
4. In this regard the Group appreciates existing coincidences between G77 priorities and the priorities of the G20 during the presidency of Germany in 2017, especially in the context of the implementation of the 2030 Agenda.
5. Last year the Chair of the Group of 77 addressed the G20 Summit held in Hangzhou, China. In this regard, the Group wishes to commend China for such outreach during its G20 presidency. It was an opportunity to underscore the priorities of developing countries, build bridges for dialogue on international cooperation for development and discuss how to chart a new path towards sustainable development while leaving no one behind. We look forward to continuing such engagement and outreach dialogue with major regional groups and non-member States under Germany's presidency of the G20 in 2017.
I thank you,