STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY MS. LOURDES PEREIRA S., FIRST SECRETARY, PERMANENT MISSION OF ECUADOR TO THE UNITED NATIONS, ON AGENDA ITEM 134: PROGRAMME BUDGET FOR THE BIENNIUM 2016-2017: PROGRAMME BUDGET IMPLICATIONS (PBIS): INTERGOVERNAMENTAL NEGOTIATIONS OF THE GLOBAL COMPACT FOR MIGRATION, AT THE FIFTH COMMITTEE DURING THE FIRST RESUMED PART OF THE SEVENTY-FIRST SESSION OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY (New York, 10 March 2017)
1. I have the honor to deliver a statement on behalf of the Group of 77 and China.
2. The Group would like to thank Ms. Bettina Tucci Bartsiotas, Assistant Secretary-General, Controller, for introducing the report of the Secretary-General on Programme budget 134: biennium 2016-2017: Programme Budget Implications (PBIs): Intergovernmental negotiations of the global compact for migration. We also thank Mr. Carlos Ruiz Massieu, Chair of the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), for introducing the related report of the Committee.
3. The Group fully supports the provision of the resources requested by the Secretary-General should the General Assembly adopt draft resolution A/71/L.58, additional resource requirements in the amount of $1,244,700 for 2017 would arise under the programme budget for the biennium 2016-2017.
4. The Group recalls all mandates approved by the resolution 71/1, entitled "New York Declaration for Refugees and Migrants", which launched the process of intergovernmental negotiations for the adoption, at an intergovernmental conference to be held in 2018, of a global compact for safe, orderly and regular migration.
5. In conclusion, I wish to assure you of the readiness of the Group of 77 and China to engage constructively on the negotiations on this very important agenda item.
I thank you.