STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY MS. LOURDES PEREIRA SOTOMAYOR, FIRST SECRETARY, PERMANENT MISSION OF ECUADOR TO THE UNITED NATIONS, ON AGENDA ITEM 136, PROPOSED PROGRAMME BUDGET FOR THE BIENNIUM 2018-2019 - PROGRAMME BUDGET IMPLICATIONS OF DRAFT RESOLUTION A/72/L.9: MODALITIES FOR THE INTERGOVERNMENTAL CONFERENCE TO ADOPT THE GLOBAL COMPACT FOR SAFE, ORDERLY AND REGULAR MIGRATION, AT THE FIFTH COMMITTEE DURING THE MAIN PART OF THE SEVENTY-SECOND SESSION OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY (New York, 19 December 2017)
1. I have the honor to deliver a statement on behalf of the Group of 77 and China.
2. The Group would like to thank Ms. Bettina Tucci Bartsiotas, Assistant Secretary-General, Controller, for introducing the report of the Secretary-General on Agenda items 14, 117 and 136: Modalities for the Intergovernmental Conference to adopt the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration: Programme budget implications of draft resolution A/72/L.9. We also thank Mr. Carlos Ruiz Massieu, Chair of the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), for introducing the related report of the Committee.
3. The Group welcomes the contributions of Member States towards various United Nations events, such as conferences and summits and in this regard wishes to recall paragraph 5 of General Assembly resolution 40/243, in which the Assembly decided that United Nations bodies may hold sessions away from their established headquarters when a Government issuing an invitation for a session to be held within its territory has agreed, after consultation with the Secretary-General as to their nature and possible extent, and to defray the actual additional costs directly or indirectly involved.
4. In this connection, the Group wishes to congratulate the Government of Morocco for agreeing to host the intergovernmental conference, entitled "Intergovernmental Conference to Adopt the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration ", on 10 and 11 December 2018.
5. The Group additionally welcomes support from all relevant parts of the Secretariat, cooperation with relevant parts of the United Nations system as well as synergies derived from the facilitation of inter-agency cooperation for the realisation of effectiveness and efficiency.
6. Given the importance the Group attaches to this subject matter, the Group supports the request for additional appropriation. We believe that making available required resources while giving due consideration to the recommendations of the Advisory Committee will guarantee a balanced approach to the funding of the Conference.
7. In conclusion, I wish to assure you of our readiness to engage positively on this important agenda item.
I thank you.