STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY MS. SHEYAM ELGARF, FIRST SECRETARY OF THE PERMANENT MISSION OF EGYPT TO THE UNITED NATIONS, AT THE SECOND INFORMAL MEETING ON ECOSOC REVIEW PROCESS IN ACCORDANCE WITH RESOLUTION 68/1 ENTITLED "REVIEW OF THE IMPLEMENTATION OF GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION 61/16 ON STRENGTHENING OF THE ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL COUNCIL" (New York, 26 February 2018)
1. I have the honor to deliver this statement on behalf of the Group of 77 and China.
2. At the outset, I would like to thank the co-facilitators for convening today's informal meeting on the ECOSOC review process in accordance with GA Resolution 68/1 entitled "Review of the implementation of General Assembly Resolution 61/16 on the strengthening of the Economic and Social Council. The Group of 77 and China also acknowledges the efforts exerted by the Secretariat to produce the "informal background paper".
3. The Group of the 77 and China would like to take this opportunity to express its support to the ECOSOC review process. We are of the view that any efforts aiming at improving the efficiency, effectiveness, avoiding duplication and, further strengthen the ECOSOC role within its mandate under the UN Charter and in line with the QCPR mandate should be supported and pursued.
4. The Group of 77 and China reiterates its position on a sequential approach between the United Nation Development System (UNDS) reform, and the ECOSOC review process. While the Group underscores the importance and, expresses its support to the ECOSOC review process, yet it is also of the view that the UNDS reform has a broader scope that will deal with aspects related to the ECOSOC functions. In this regard, while reiterating our appreciation for the production of the "informal background paper," the Group of 77 and China will consider it at an opportune time and as we progress in the negotiations on the UNDS reform process.
5. As such, the Group is of the view that it would be premature to produce the envisaged "informal food for thought paper" before the UNDS reform process negotiations achieve some progress, and naturally, not before substantial inputs from all members states, including from the Group of 77 and China, are expressed.
6. The Group of 77 and China will continue to engage constructively in the ECOSOC review process in accordance with resolution 68/1.
I thank you.