STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY MR. MOHAMED FOUAD AHMED, COUNSELLOR, PERMANENT MISSION OF EGYPT TO THE UNITED NATIONS, ON AGENDA ITEM 136: PROGRAMME BUDGET FOR THE BIENNIUM 2018-2019, PROGRAMME BUGET IMPLICATIONS OF DRAFT RESOLUTION A/72/L.40 ENTITLED "SCOPE, MODALITIES, FORMAT AND ORGANIZATION OF THE HIGH-LEVEL MEETING ON THE FIGHT AGAINST TUBERCULOSIS, AT THE FIFTH COMMITTEE DURING THE FIRST RESUMED PART OF THE SEVENTY-SECOND SESSION OF THE UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY (New York, 27 March 2018)
1. I have the honor to speak on behalf of the Group of 77 and China on agenda item 136, Programme budget for the biennium 2018-2019, Programme budget implications of draft resolution A/72/L.40 entitled "Scope, modalities, format and organization of the high-level meeting on the fight against tuberculosis".
2. The Group would like to thank Mr. Pedro Guazo, Acting Deputy Controller of the United Nations, as well as Mr. Babou Sene, Vice-Chair of the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions, for presenting their respective reports to the Committee.
3. The Group attaches great importance to the Organization of the United Nations High Level Meeting on the fight against Tuberculosis that will be held on the 26th of September 2018, in New York under the theme: "United to end tuberculosis: an urgent global response to a global epidemic".
4. This is the first High-Level Meeting of its kind to address the challenge of TB, a preventable and curable disease. Hence, the Group is keen on providing all relevant needs to facilitate holding of the meeting and expects global leaders to adopt a strong political declaration to address this global health challenge. An urgent global response is required, notably by facilitating access to affordable medicines and technologies, encouraging innovation in the prevention and treatment of this epidemic, as well as scaling up financing, including at the international level. Clearly, the international community should not miss our common aim to end tuberculosis by 2030.
5. Therefore, The Group supports the additional requirements in the amount of $ 59.700 under section 2, General Assembly and Economic and Social Council affairs and conference management, and section 28, Public Information, of the programme budget for the biennium 2018-2019.
6. The Group fully supports the provision of the resources requested by the Secretary-General, should the General Assembly adopt draft resolution A/72/L.40.
7. The Group calls for all mandates approved by intergovernmental bodies of the United Nations to be provided with adequate resources from the regular budget for their implementation.
8. In conclusion, I wish to assure you - Mr. Chair- the readiness of the Group to engage constructively during upcoming consultations on this important agenda item.
I thank you, Mr. Chairman.