REMARKS ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY THE PERMANENT MISSION OF EGYPT TO THE UNITED NATIONS, AT THE INFORMAL MEETING ON THE INTERGOVERNMENTAL CONSULTATION AIMED AT ENHANCING SYNERGIES AND COHERENCE AND REDUCING OVERLAP IN THE AGENDAS OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY, THE ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL COUNCIL AND THEIR SUBSIDIARY BODIES, AS WELL AS THE HIGH-LEVEL POLITICAL FORUM AND OTHER RELATED FORUMS IN LIGHT OF ADOPTION OF THE 2030 AGENDA FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT (New York, 3 July 2018)
1. I have the honor to deliver the following remarks on behalf of the Group of 77 and China.
2. The Group of 77 and China would like to express its appreciation for the co-facilitators' for conveying today's informal meeting on enhancing the synergies, and coherence and reducing overlap where it is found to exist in the agenda of the General Assembly, Economic and Social Council, and their subsidiary bodies, as well as the high - level political forum, and other the related forums in light of the adoption of the 2030 agenda for sustainable development. The Group also acknowledges the efforts by the co-facilitators to produce the second "Food for thought Paper".
3. The Group underscore that the full and effective implementation of the 2030 Agenda is of the highest importance for the Group. With this in mind, any alignment process should lead to a comprehensive coverage of the 2030 Agenda, and its 17 Sustainable Development Goals and targets, with the understanding that eradication of poverty in all its forms and dimension is the overarching priority.
4. In this regards The Group reiterates its strong conviction on the critical need to genuinely address gaps, and targets that remain uncovered under the General Assembly, and the ECOSOC agenda. In this regard, we should consider serious discussions to create new agenda items where deem appropriate and necessary to give those goals and targets a placement to be followed-up and reviewed. The indivisible nature of Agenda 2030 make it imperative, and urgent to ensure equal attention and consideration to all goals and targets of the SDGs aiming at a successful implementation of the Agenda in its entirety.
5. As we are moving forward in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda, emerging and relevant issues could give rise to new agenda items for the work of the General Assembly if not ECOSOC and other relevant bodies
6. The Group underscores that any exercise regarding overlapping must prevent the elimination of substantive topics on existing agenda items, nor call for a joint UN reports, it must safeguard and strengthen the United Nations Development System. Duplication does not necessarily mean repetition; overlaps should be studied in a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration specific mandates and perspectives of UN organs.
7. The Group would like to underline that this exercise of addressing overlapping and avoiding duplication should not only focus on the work and agenda items belong to the 2nd committee, but has to go beyond and cut across the work of all committees.
8. The Group would like to underscore the ownership and leadership of Member States to this exercise. The primary responsibility remains in the hands of the states to decide on the action to be taken on this agenda, in addition, we should ensure and preserve their rights to present and submit proposals for new agenda items.
9. On the way forward and continuation of this work, we have the following comments: the Group believes of the importance of building on, and benefit from the results of the work has been already carried out in the past years under this framework, these efforts cannot be ignored, as we should avoid repeating, or duplicating the same efforts again. We also believe that it is important to be realistic when setting timeframes for the completion of the alignment process, which requires further consultations, and thorough discussions among the membership. The Group is of the view that this exercise will greatly benefits by learning how the UN system its relevant entities, fund and programs align itself with the 2030 Agenda, we are looking forward for such briefing by the UN system.
10. The Group of 77 and China would like to express its commitment to engage constructively in this process.