STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY H.E. AMBASSADOR RIYAD MANSOUR, (STATE OF PALESTINE), CHAIR OF THE GROUP OF 77, AT THE JOINT BRIEFING BY THE PRESIDENTS OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY AND THE ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL COUNCIL (New York, 31 January 2019)
1. I have the honor to deliver this statement on behalf of the Group of 77 and China.
2. At the outset, the Group of 77 and China would like to express our appreciation for the efforts to enhance synergies and coherence in the work of the United Nations General Assembly, the Economic and Social Council, and their subsidiary bodies, as well as the related high-level forums aligned with the adoption of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
3. The Group, based on its principles, underscores the importance of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the full implementation of the Agenda's 17 Sustainable Development Goals, with a special focus on the eradication of poverty in all its forms and dimensions, which remains the highest priority.
4. In this respect, the Group recognizes and reiterates the need to address the gaps and targets that remain critical in the agendas of the General Assembly and the Economic and Social Council. As a result, this constructive process requires serious discussions and engagements to create new agenda items where deem appropriate and necessary to give those goals and targets a placement to be followed-up and reviewed. The indivisible nature of Agenda 2030 makes it imperative and urgent to ensure equal attention and consideration to all goals and targets of the SDGs aiming at a successful implementation of the Agenda in its entirety.
5. The Group underscores that any exercise regarding overlapping must prevent the elimination of substantive topics on existing agenda items and must safeguard and strengthen the United Nations Development System. Duplication does not necessarily mean repetition. Working on existing and new agendas provides specific mandates and perspectives of UN organs with the necessary reviews and case-by-case studies could strengthen the United Nations Development System. In this regard, we reaffirm the leadership of Member States on this exercise at both the GA and the ECOSOC as well as their role in making good use of existing mandates, safeguarding the rights of all States.
6. Today's briefing comes at a very critical moment for multilateralism, The Group reaffirms its commitment to the multilateral system as we collectively work on achieving the 2030 Agenda and its Sustainable Development Goals, which involve and encourage multilateral cooperation at all levels.
7. The Group believes that 2019 is an important year for sustainable development due to the two High-Level Political Forums, the Financing for Development, the Climate Summit, the High-level Mid-term Review of the S.A.M.O.A. Pathway and many others in which are all directly connected to the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. In this connection, and specifically in regards to the HLPF, the Group would like to emphasize the importance of having more efficient VNRs, with sufficient time for each country presentation, and also for all the States that wish to present their VNR.
8. Lastly, the Group believes that the efforts and progress made cannot be ignored since the benefits and results stemming from the work of the UN system have been aligned with the 2030 Agenda.
9. The Group of 77 and China remains committed to working to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the working methods of the GA and ECOSOC. Furthermore, the Group will continue to engage in a positive and constructive manner.