STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 BY AMBASSADOR FEDA ABDELHADY, DEPUTY PERMANENT REPRESENTATIVE, MISSION OF THE STATE OF PALESTINE TO THE UNITED NATIONS, AT THE FIRST INFORMAL CONSULTATION ON THE HIGH-LEVEL POLITICAL FORUM ON SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT UNDER THE AUSPICES OF THE GA (New York, 15 March 2019)
1. I have the honor to deliver this statement on behalf of the Group of 77 and China.
2. At the outset, the Group would like to congratulate you on your appointment as Facilitator to lead the informal consultations on the modalities for the forthcoming High Level Political Form on Sustainable Development under the auspices of the General Assembly to be held during the High-Level week in September 2019. We also wish to thank you for convening today's informal meeting.
3. The Group welcomes the idea of this event as a "celebration", focusing not only on the delegations in New York attending the event, allowing for the event to be followed on webcast by the public and media around the world, generating attention of the presence of Heads of States and Governments and well-known international figures for this important issue. The HLPF Summit should also identify the links to and make the best use of opportunities arising from other relevant high-level processes also taking place in the High-Level week, namely on Financing for Development, climate change, universal health coverage, and SAMOA Pathway.
4. The Group, in general, welcomes the proposed modalities of the Facilitator, and we understand the logistical obstacles that may arise due to the limited time allocated to the entire event. Therefore, the Group remains open to explore a creative and innovative approach, with the view to create a space for Heads of States and Governments, as well as political and regional Groups to address the HLPF summit, as it is the first of its kind after the adoption of the 2030 Agenda.
5. As we approach the fourth anniversary of the adoption of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the Group attaches great importance to this year's High-level Political Forum, which will be an opportunity to undertake a comprehensive review of the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, and may point out the gaps and challenges faced at its future implementation. The modalities of the HLPF Summit should serve the purpose of the HLPF which is to provide political leadership, guidance and recommendations for the implementation of the Agenda 2030 as well as follow up and review the progress made in its implementation, and to discuss challenges that cut across the implementation of the entire agenda, for instance on frontier technology, and the means of implementation.
6. Regarding the format, the Group would like to restress the Resolution 67/290 where we reaffirmed the intergovernmental character of the Forum as well as the guidelines for participation of relevant stakeholders.
7. In closing, with reference to the process forward, we welcome the work that you have done so far in highlighting possible areas of convergence and new ideas for making this event the most relevant, and we would like to encourage you to continue consulting with all States in an open, inclusive, and transparent manner in order to ensure that everyone is duly informed and involved of the evolution on the preparations for this important Forum.
8. Distinguished facilitator, you can count on the Group's support and constructive engagement in this process aimed at ensuring that we make progress in achieving sustainable development.
I thank you.