STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY AMBASSADOR FEDA ABDELHADY, DEPUTY PERMANENT REPRESENTATIVE, MISSION OF THE STATE OF PALESTINE TO THE UNITED NATIONS AT THE FIFTY-SECOND SESSION OF THE COMMISSION ON POPULATION AND DEVELOPMENT (New York, 1 April 2019)
1. I have the honor to deliver this statement on behalf of the Group of 77 and China.
2. The Group would like to congratulate you on your election as Chair of the 52nd session of the Commission on Population and Development. We wish you and your Bureau a successful session and we assure you of our full support and cooperation.
3. The Group of 77 and China would also like thank the Secretary-General for his informative reports submitted to this session.
4. Since its adoption in Cairo in 1994, the Program of Action of the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) is considered by the Group of 77 and China as the major outcome document representing a comprehensive framework on population and development matters. The Group continues to support the principles, goals and objectives of the Program of Action of ICPD.
5. The Group of 77 and China welcomes the theme of this year's session on "Review and appraisal of the Program of Action of the International Conference on population and development and its contribution to the follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development." This theme is all too relevant leading up to the special occasion of the twenty-fifth anniversary of the ICPD, recognizing the importance of its Program of Action for achieving the 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development. Together with the Beijing Declaration and the Addis Ababa Action agenda of the Third International Conference on Financing for Development, they comprise the main instruments for the eradication of poverty and for the protection, respect and fulfillment of human rights.
6. The Group is encouraged that progress has been made in attaining many of the goals and objectives of the ICPD Program of Action. At the same time, however, the Group recognizes that progress is uneven and slow, both within and among countries, with the benefits of social and economic progress shared unequally.
7. Thus, the Group calls for increased efforts to be exerted for a more inclusive process in order to accomplish the bold vision articulated in the ICPD Program of Action and the 2030 Agenda. Some of those shared objectives and responsibilities include efforts to promote the dignity and human rights of all persons; reduce poverty; assure stronger health systems; ensure universal access to sexual and reproductive health care services; promote gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls; promote sustainable cities and balanced rural and urban development; promote the rights and opportunities of young people and older persons in education and decent work; redress inequality and discrimination; protect the human rights of migrants, refugees and displaced persons; promote sustainable development and address the risks of climate change, among other domains.
8. The Group recognizes the need for analysis of changing population age structures and the availability and use of high-quality, accessible, timely and reliable disaggregated demographic data on progress on the implementation of the goals and objectives enshrined in Program of Action of the ICPD and the 2030 agenda at the national, regional and local levels.
9. In this regard, international organizations, regional organizations and civil society should work in partnership to promote capacity building and technical cooperation. For our part, the Group reaffirms our commitment to implement the ICPD Program of Action through North-South, South-South, and triangular cooperation.
10. Finally, Mr. Chair, in the current environment of a persistent economic slowdown, financial instability, food insecurity and water scarcity, and the adverse impacts caused by climate change, with anti-microbial resistance and new and emerging diseases on the rise, the Group of 77 and China are ready to step up our concerted efforts in the spirit of globalization, interdependence and multilateralism, in addressing population and development matters in an integrated and comprehensive manner. I thank you for your attention.