STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY AMBASSADOR RIYAD MANSOUR (STATE OF PALESTINE), CHAIR OF THE GROUP OF 77, AT THE HIGH-LEVEL EVENT ON THE FUTURE OF WORK (TO COMMEMORATE ILO CENTENARY) (New York, 10 April 2019)
Ladies and Gentlemen,
1. I have the honor to deliver this statement on behalf of the Group of 77 and China.
2. At the outset, the Group of 77 and China is pleased to sincerely congratulate the International Labor Organization (ILO) on its 100th anniversary, and we would like to thank the President of the General Assembly for convening this meeting under the theme "The Future of Work".
3. Over the past 100 years, the ILO has demonstrated its longstanding commitment to promoting social justice and internationally recognized labor rights. In this connection, the Group wishes to take this opportunity to commend the ILO for its tremendous work and unique role to the multilateral system to achieve social justice, which is essential to universal and lasting peace.
4. The Group reiterates that poverty eradication in all its forms and dimensions is the overarching goal of the 2030 Agenda and an indispensable requirement for achieving sustainable development.
5. The Group restates the importance of the full implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and recognizes that full and productive employment and decent work for all are important elements of sustainable development for all countries and it is therefore an important objective of international cooperation. In that sense, it is imperative to promote safe and secure working environments of all workers, including migrant workers, and further succeed in substantially reducing unemployment which remains unacceptably high.
6. Furthermore, the Group recognizes in the vast potential of young people to contribute towards sustainable development and social cohesion and notes that unavailability of quality employment in most developing countries not only blocks the successful transition of young people from school to decent jobs, but also impedes economic growth and development as a whole. Therefore, it is important that efforts at every level are taken to improve the quality of and access to education, and to enhance the acquisition of skills for youth towards decent work.
7. The Group also stresses on the need to address the new forces that are transforming the world of work, and creating new challenges. In this connection, we believe particular attention should be given to the challenges emerging from the technological advances and its impact on employment.
8. The Group recognizes that SGD 8 will be reviewed under the HLPF this year, and we look forward to this review. We note that this Goal is of crucial importance to developing countries as it directly relates to the global efforts in reducing poverty and achieving decent work for all, while acknowledging that significant aspects of decent work is interlinked with many other development goals.
9. In closing, and on this very special occasion, the Group of 77 and China thus wishes to express our appreciation to the constructive engagement and continuing support of ILO, and while recognizing the important mandates and indispensable role of ILO as the key driver in supporting developing countries in achieving Goal 8, stand ready to working closely with ILO towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals in the year 2030 and beyond.
I thank you.