REMARKS ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY AMBASSADOR DR. RIYAD MANSOUR, (STATE OF PALESTINE), CHAIR OF THE GROUP OF 77, AT THE BRIEFING ON THE HIGH-LEVEL POLITICAL FORUM ON SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT UNDER THE AUSPICES OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY (New York, 23 April 2019)
1. I have the honor to deliver these remarks on behalf of the Group of 77 and China.
2. At the outset, the Group would like to express its appreciation to the Facilitator for convening this meeting today and for his comprehensive briefing and updates on his findings with regard to the modalities for the forthcoming High Level Political Form on Sustainable Development under the auspices of the General Assembly to be held on 24 and 25 September 2019.
3. The Group reiterates that this year is of utmost importance as it marks the fourth year since the adoption of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, and it will be an opportunity to review the integrated and comprehensive implementation of the 2030 Agenda, and its 17 SDGs.
4. In this connection, the Group notes that after the adoption of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in 2015, significant effort is being exerted on its implementing; however, the pace of implementation is still quite distant from achieving sustainable development for all, in particular for the poorest and most vulnerable.
5. Given the time constraints, as well as the schedule of the High-Level week this year, and in order to ensure the participation of our delegations at the highest possible level in this important meeting, we should look at the High-Level week in a holistic manner taking into consideration all the other relevant High-Level processes.
6. In terms of the format, the Group is open and flexible in this regard, and we agree with your Excellency's reasonable proposal to explore an innovative approach for this meeting, however, we restate that it is imperative to create a space for Member States, political and regional Groups to address the HLPF summit, as it is the first of its kind after the adoption of the 2030 Agenda.
7. We also wish to highlight that our main concern is the relevance of the topic and the theme of the meeting. In this regard, we stress on the great significance of the content, the impact and the message that comes from this meeting. We also re-emphasize that we should focus on the gaps and challenges towards the implementation of the 2030 Agenda in its entirety, as well as the success stories.
8. Although the Group understands the importance of the inclusive participation of all stakeholders, we reiterate that priority should be given for States to engage and participate in the Forum. The modality should also preserve the intergovernmental nature of the HLPF and ensure member state's ownership. As well as that the participation of Non-Governmental Organizations to be on a non-objection basis, and should also reflect the principles of transparency and of equitable geographical representation, in accordance with the established practices within the United Nations for similar High-Level Events.
9. Distinguished facilitator, you can count on the Group's support and constructive engagement in this process to ensure the successful realization of this important event.
I thank you.