STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY MR. ABDULLAH ABUSHAWESH, COUNSELLOR AT THE MISSION OF THE STATE OF PALESTINE TO THE UN AT THE SECOND INFORMAL-INFORMAL MEETING ON THE DRAFT POLITICAL DECLARATION OF THE HIGH-LEVEL MID-TERM REVIEW OF SAMOA PATHWAY (New York, 15 May 2019)
1. I have the honor to deliver this statement on behalf of the Group of 77 and China.
2. The Group would like to express its appreciation for the co-facilitators for their efforts in producing the zero draft of the High-Level Political Declaration of the Mid-Term Review of the S.A.M.O.A. Pathway, and we welcome the timely issuance of this draft. We also thank them for convening this meeting.
3. We would like to assure you that the Group will engage actively and constructively in this important process, with a view of having a meaningful and action oriented outcome document.
4. Distinguished Co-facilitators, given that the text was only issued yesterday afternoon, the Group cannot address at this stage the content and substance of the zero draft.
5. On the procedure, the Group would like to seek some clarifications on the process of negotiations ahead and what format the upcoming meetings will take? and we stress that due consideration must be given to the need of member states to consult their capitals, and the need for internal coordination of the Group.
6. In closing, we would like to inform you that the Group of 77 and China has appointed Ms. Sharon Lindo, from the Permanent Mission of Belize to the United Nations, as coordinator for the Group of 77 & China on matters related to the S.A.M.O.A. Mid Term Review. Ms. Lindo will speak on the Group's behalf during the negotiation process.
7. The Group reiterates its solidarity and support to SIDS as well as its commitment to a successful conclusion of the Mid-term Review.
I thank you.