STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY THE REPRESENTATIVE OF THE STATE OF PALESTINE AFTER THE ADOPTION OF THE ECOSOC RESOLUTION ON "STRENGTHENING OF THE COORDINATION OF EMERGENCY HUMANITARIAN ASSISTANCE OF THE UNITED NATIONS" (Geneva, Switzerland, 27 June 2019)
1. On behalf of the G-77 and China, I thank you for giving me the floor.
2. At the outset, allow me to express that the Group is pleased that the ECOSOC resolution on "Strengthening of the Coordination of Emergency Humanitarian Assistance of the United Nations", has just been adopted. It is without a doubt that the issue of humanitarian assistance is intrinsically linked to the core interests of the Group of 77 and China within the humanitarian affairs domain.
3. The Group attaches importance to this Humanitarian Assistance resolution in that it advances the economic, social and development functions of ECOSOC, as well as its operational and technical aspects. The Group continues to strongly believe that ECOSOC and the General Assembly have different mandates and functions, and should avoid duplications in their respective work.
4. The Group is confident that through the resolution just adopted, the coordination and actualization of emergency humanitarian assistance by the United Nations as a whole will be greatly strengthened. This is one of the reasons why our Group negotiated in an active and constructive manner throughout the negotiation process on this resolution. In this connection, we would like to thank all delegations for the efforts made to preserve the consensus nature of this important resolution.
5. To conclude, on behalf of the G77 and China, I would like to, once again, thank Switzerland and Indonesia, the Co-Facilitators, for having led the consultations in a transparent and professional manner. We would also like to thank you, Mr. Vice-President, and the other members of the Bureau for organizing this very important segment. Thank you.