STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY MR. SAED KATKHUDA, SENIOR ADVISOR, MISSION OF THE STATE OF PALESTINE TO THE UNITED NATIONS, ON AGENDA ITEM 134: PROGRAMME BUDGET FOR THE BIENNIUM 2018-2019-UN OFFICE FOR PARTNERSHIPS, AT THE FIFTH COMMITTEE DURING THE MAIN PART OF THE SEVENTY-FOURTH SESSION OF THE UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY (New York, 11 October 2019)
1. I have the honour to deliver this statement on behalf of the Group of 77 and China on agenda item 134, Programme budget for the biennium 2018-2019-UN office for Partnerships.
2. The Group thanks the Secretary General for his report on the activities of the United Nations Office for Partnerships as per the request of General Assembly decisions 52/466 and 53/475.
3. As the gateway for public-private partnerships in furthering the Sustainable Development Goals, the Group welcomes the efforts of the United Nations Office for Partnerships for continuing to provide partnership advisory and outreach services in response to the demands of the United Nations system, and its Member States.
4. The Group also welcomes the efforts of the United Nations Office for Partnerships for advancing the 2030 Agenda and supporting the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals. The Group appreciates the collaborative partnerships of UNOP most of which are in the areas of infrastructure, procurement, project management, human resources and financial services, areas pertinent to developing countries.
5. The Group commends initiatives undertaken by the office and highlights the importance of continuing cooperation with the many institutions to address many of our global challenges among them global health issues such as the elimination of preventable diseases, notably measles and malaria as well as promoting the health and well-being of children, women and youth. Also pertinent to the Group is the issue of the Youth Demographic Dividend. The Group hopes to continue seeing greater initiatives in this regard.
6. We note that the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development includes, under Sustainable Development Goal 17, a call to revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development, including through multi-stakeholder partnerships that mobilize and share knowledge, expertise, technology and financial resources toward achievement of the Goals and encourages the United Nations Office for Partnerships in their pursuit of the cause.
7. The Group also encourages the United Nations Office for Partnerships to continue engaging with partners to explore opportunities for Partnerships with the United Nations system in support of Member States in their implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the Addis Ababa Action Agenda on Financing for Development.
8. Finally, as commonly called for in various UN resolutions, the Group further encourages the Office to also continue working closely with regional and sub-regional organisations and to support the developmental efforts of developing countries.
I thank you.