STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY AMBASSADOR NEIL PIERRE, PERMANENT MISSION OF GUYANA TO THE UNITED NATIONS, AT THE FOURTH INFORMAL DIALOGUE ON THE REVITALIZATION OF THE WORK OF THE SECOND COMMITTEE (New York, 25 June 2020)
Mr. Chairman, Distinguished colleagues,
1. I have the honor to deliver this statement on behalf of the Group of 77 and China.
At the outset, I would like to thank you, Mr. Chairman, and the Bureau of the Second Committee, for convening this fourth informal dialogue to continue discussions on the revitalization of the work of the Second Committee.
2. Permit me also to express our appreciation for the draft decision on the revitalization of the work of the Second Committee. The Group of 77 and China welcomes this opportunity to share our views on the draft document.
3. The Group of 77 and China is of the view that the draft decision is a good basis for our engagement on this agenda item, however, we believe it should be further and greatly improved. To this end, the Group wishes to provide an overview of the General context upon which the Group will be making its specific interventions on the various sections of the document.
4. First, the Group wishes to underscore that any decision on the revitalization of the work of the Second Committee should be characterized by issues on which there is a convergence of views across the various groups and delegations.
5. Second, we reiterate our long-standing position that the 2030 Agenda is relevant to the work of the UN beyond that of the Second Committee. Further, the Group reaffirms that the revitalization of the work of the Second Committee should aim to strengthen the work of the Committee, enhance international development, and accelerate the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
6. Third, the Group wishes to highlight that noticeably absence from the draft decision is any reference to the Bureau's working methods. For our Group, the working methods of the Second Committee Bureau are of considerable importance in the discussion on the revitalization of the Committee's work; it should be included in any decision.
7. Fourth, the Group notes with concern various inconsistencies in the contents of the draft conference room paper on the revitalization of the work of the Second Committee and the draft decision on the revitalization of the work of the Second Committee. The Group calls on the Bureau to revise and recirculate the draft conference room paper, to accurately reflect the status of the negotiations and not to predetermine its outcome.
8. The Group of 77 and China accords a high level of importance to this undertaking and looks forward to engaging constructively to ensure that the work of the Second Committee is conducted efficiently and effectively, with greater impact and relevance to its intended purpose. In this stead, we look forward to collaborating with our partners to accelerate the implementation of the 2030 Agenda.
9. Finally, I am pleased to introduce Ms. Marguerite St. John-Sebastian of the Permanent Mission of Belize to the United Nations, who is our coordinator for this agenda item. Ms. St. John-Sebastian will be making specific interventions on the various sections of the draft decisions on behalf of the Group.
I thank you.