EXPLANATION OF POSITION BY THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA ON DRAFT DECISION ON THE REVITALIZATION OF THE WORK OF THE SECOND COMMITTEE (New York, 22 July 2020)
1. The Group of 77 and China has joined the consensus on the draft decision on the Revitalization of the Work of the Second Committee. We are of the firm conviction that the revitalization of the work of the Second Committee is intended to strengthen the work of the Committee, enhance international development, and accelerate the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Moreover, with a view to further improving the work of the Committee, the Group believes that solidarity and a multilateral approach centered on the United Nations is critical to our collective efforts.
2. The Group acknowledges the efforts extended by the Second Committee Bureau and the progress made in advancing this agenda item. In this vein, the Group of 77 and China notes that this decision does not signal the end of the discussions on this matter, rather in this instance, it represents the building blocks or incremental steps taken, characterized by a consensus based approach in the broader context of the General Assembly Revitalization process.
3. In accordance with the foregoing, the Group of 77 and China wishes to make the following statement in explanation of its position, on several elements of the draft decision on the Revitalization of the work of the Second Committee.
4. Regarding the matter of tabling new resolutions and agenda items, the Group of 77 and China reiterates and reaffirms the inalienable right of all delegations to table new proposals to the Committee for introduction of additional agenda items or new draft resolutions under the current ones. While this issue was not included in the draft decision the Group holds the view that it is a fundamental and crucial element in the discussion of Revitalization of the work of the Second Committee.
5. With respect to paragraph 5 (c), the Group of 77 wishes to register its request for the inclusion of the term "inter alia", following draft resolutions. The Group believes this will remove any form of ambiguity as is evident in the text concerning the introduction of draft resolutions and, ultimately, the scope and nature of resolutions to be considered by the Second Committee.
6. Regarding paragraph 9 (a), the Group is deeply disappointed that the decision does not give the Secretariat a deadline of mid-September for the submission of reports to the Committee. To this end, the Group recognizes and wishes to reinforce the importance of these reports to enhancing the work of the Committee. It is our sincere hope that the Secretariat also shares this understanding.
7. With respect to paragraph 10 (b), the Group acknowledges the importance and universality of the 2030 Agenda, including the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, to the work of the Committee. We believe that the support inherent in the work of the United Nations System provides useful tools and contributes to the creation of a necessary enabling environment for developing countries to realize the overarching objective of the 2030 Agenda; of leaving no one behind.
8. For this reason, the Group is deeply concerned by the attempt to have "…draft resolutions reflect the link of the resolutions with the 2030 Agenda in the title of the resolutions…." The Group of 77 and China wishes to reaffirm that the work of the Second Committee and of the UN, extend beyond the 2030 Agenda and is relevant to issues not adequately addressed by Second Committee in the 2030 Agenda. Any attempt to concentrate the work of the Second Committee only around the 2030 Agenda represents a vaguely narrow perspective and a grave misconstruction of the intended purposes of the Second Committee.
9. Additionally, paragraph 10 (h) speaks in general terms of the periodicity of the sub- item entitled "Development cooperation with middle-income countries. The Group notes that G77 and China resolutions on groups of countries are considered annually, as such, this resolution should be treated in the same manner.
10. Furthermore, the Group stresses that within the context of the nine years remaining in the Decade of Action and delivery, the MICs agenda is indispensable to achieving sustainable development. It is with this in mind, that the Group wishes to highlight that the majority of its members are middle-income countries, that is 86 of 134, including many SIDS and some LLDCs and middle income countries represent 73% of the world's poor. Moreover, the Group believes that the MICs agenda is a development agenda, as the question of poverty eradication is a question of MICs. Therefore, it is the interpretation of the Group of 77 and China that the MIC resolution will be considered annually,
11. In conclusion, the Group of 77 and China reiterates its commitment to engaging constructively and in good faith with all partners on these and other matters, in an effort to facilitate further improvement in the quality and impact of the work of the Second Committee.
12. The Group of 77 and China requests that this Explanation of Position be made part of the official record of the Assembly.