STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY MS. MEGAYLA AUSTIN, MINISTER COUNSELLOR OF THE PERMANENT MISSION OF THE CO-OPERATIVE REPUBLIC OF GUYANA TO THE UNITED NATIONS, ON AGENDA ITEM 141: PROPOSED PROGRAMME BUDGET FOR 2021: REVISED ESTIMATES RESULTING FROM RESOLUTIONS AND DECISIONS ADOPTED BY THE ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL COUNCIL AT ITS 2020 SESSION, AT THE MAIN PART OF THE FIFTH COMMITTEE DURING THE SEVENTY-FIFTH SESSION OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY (New York, 26 October 2020)
1. I have the honor to speak on behalf of the Group of 77 and China on Agenda Item 141: Proposed Programme Budget for 2021: Revised estimates resulting from resolutions and decisions adopted by the Economic and Social Council at its 2020 Session."
2. The Group would like to thank Mr. Chandru Ramanathan, Controller, Office of Programme Planning, Budget and Accounts, and Mr. Abdalla Bachar Bong, Chair of the Advisory Committee for Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), for introducing their respective reports.
3. The Group continues to attach great importance to ensuring that mandates approved by intergovernmental bodies of the United Nations are given adequate resources to ensure their successful implementation.
4. The Group of 77 and China welcomes the Economic and Social Council resolution 2020/11 which extends the mandate of the Ad Hoc Advisory Group on Haiti until the conclusion of the Council's 2021 session, and notes that the resource requirement arising from the adoption of the aforementioned resolution is $ 43,000. The Group further notes the proposal for this amount to be accommodated within the overall resources to be made available under section 9, Economic and Social Affairs, of the Proposed Programme Budget for 2021.
5. The Group of 77 and China would like to express its appreciation for the valuable support of the Secretary-General to the Ad Hoc Advisory Group on Haiti and underscores the importance of collaboration amongst the mandated offices on Haiti.
6. Furthermore, the Group of 77 and China, wishes to express its support to the provision of the required resources to finance resolution 2020/11.
7. In conclusion, the Group of 77 and China wishes to express its support for the provision of the required resources to finance resolution 2020/11, and to assure you that we will constructively engage on this important agenda item.
I thank you.