STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY MRS. RONALDA EDWARDS-HORATIO, FIRST SECRETARY, PERMANENT MISSION OF THE CO-OPERATIVE REPUBLIC OF GUYANA TO THE UNITED NATIONS, AT THE PLENARY MEETING OF THE SECOND COMMITTEE ON AGENDA ITEM: 126 "REVITALIZATION OF THE WORK OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY" (New York, 24 November 2020)
Mr. Chair, Distinguished delegates,
1. I have the honor to deliver this statement on behalf of the members of the Group of 77 and China.
2. At the outset, allow me to thank you Mr. Chairman, and the Bureau of the Second Committee, for your exemplary stewardship of the work of the Committee, in these challenging times.
3. The Group notes the established working procedures of the Committee and acknowledges the efforts of and arrangements made by the Bureau to organize our work during this session, on an exceptional basis.
4. The Group of 77 and China welcomes this opportunity to articulate our views on this agenda item.
5. The Group accords a high level of importance to the revitalization of the work of the Second Committee. It is with this in mind, that we wish to place on record our appreciation for the work done during the seventy-fourth session in advancing the Second Committee's revitalization process.
6. Accordingly, the Group notes the iterative nature of the Committee's work and emphasizes that the most recent revitalization decision represents the building blocks or incremental steps taken, characterized by a consensus based approach, in the broader context of the General Assembly Revitalization process.
7. While we applaud the progress made and remain eager to continue the good work, the Group of 77 and China holds the view, that in this instance, the prevailing conditions for conducting our work are not conducive to engaging in substantive discussions on the revitalization of the work of the Second Committee.
8. Further, the Group posits that more time is needed to properly assess and evaluate the implementation of the recent decision, as well as to build on the results of previous efforts at revitalizing the work of the Committee.
9. The Group of 77 and China has employed a constructive approach in its past engagements under this agenda item and commits to doing so in the future, with a view to ensuring that the work of the Second Committee is conducted in a manner that gives greater impact and relevance to its intended purpose.
10. Permit me, therefore, to reiterate the Group's firm convictions on the revitalization of the work of the Second Committee, which we will continue to advance in our deliberations on this important matter.
11. The Group of 77 and China holds the view that the main objective of the revitalization process is to strengthen the work of the Committee, enhance international development, and accelerate the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and all internationally agreed development frameworks.
12. We note the interlinkages that exist between this process and other ongoing processes, such as the review of ECOSOC and HLPF, and the alignment of the agendas of the General Assembly, ECOSOC and its subsidiary bodies. In this vein, the Group continues to advocate for a comprehensive and holistic approach to same, as these processes complement each other while responding to different mandates with different objectives.
13. In accordance with the foregoing, the Group wishes to underscore that the scope of work of the Second Committee is broader than the 2030 Agenda, as it encompasses matters not adequately addressed by the 2030 Agenda.
14. The Group of 77 and China views the revitalization process as akin to improving the quality, efficiency and effectiveness of the work of the Second Committee.
15. In keeping with this, the Group stresses that all Second Committee resolutions should be streamlined and made more concise, focused and action-oriented, including requests for reports and recommendations that are contained therein.
16. Furthermore, on the issue of gaps, overlaps and duplication in the Committee's agenda, and the periodicity of agenda items, the Group underscores that the purpose and relevance of agenda items and resolutions, as well as their periodicity, should be carefully considered, on a case by case basis, with clear reasoning and accurate arguments.
17. Moreover, the Group reaffirms the inalienable right of all delegations to table new proposals for introduction of additional agenda items, or new draft resolutions under existing items.
18. For our Group, development must remain at the core of the work of the Second Committee. We emphasize that the full and effective implementation of the 2030 Agenda is of the utmost importance for our work in the Committee, with a primary focus on the eradication of poverty in all its forms and dimensions, as the overarching objective of the 2030 Agenda.
19. In this vein, we note with grave concern that the COVID-19 pandemic, has brought severe disruptions to societies and economies, with devastating impacts on lives and livelihoods. With the potential of reversing development gains achieved over decades, it has presented increased and unforeseen challenges for all developing countries, including the most vulnerable countries and those facing specific challenges.
20. As we engage today on this agenda item, the full impact of the pandemic is not yet clear, but one thing is, its socio economic fallout will directly influence the work of the Committee, against the backdrop of the nine years remaining in the Decade of Action and delivery.
21. The Group believes that today's exchanges provide a valuable opportunity to begin to consider the important elements that should characterize the revitalization discussions when they resume.
22. In conclusion, the Group of 77 and China reiterates its commitment to engaging constructively and in good faith with all partners, with a view to pursuing sustainable and inclusive recovery strategies to accelerate progress towards the full implementation of the 2030 Agenda, and to help reduce the risks of future shocks through further improvement in the quality and impact of the Second Committee's work.
I thank you.