STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY AMBASSADOR BOUBACAR DIALLO, G-77 COORDINATOR, PERMANENT MISSION OF THE REPUBLIC OF GUINEA TO THE UNITED NATIONS, AT THE INFORMAL CONSULTATIONS ON THE FUNCTIONING OF THE REINVIGORATED RESIDENT COORDINATOR SYSTEM, INCLUDING ITS STRUCTURE, PERFORMANCE AND FUNDING ARRANGEMENT (New York, 8 September 2021)
1. I have the honour to deliver this statement on behalf of the Group of 77 and China.
2. Firstly, we wish to thank you both for your great leadership and stewardship in this process. We remain hopeful that we will be able to find consensus to move the system forward on a path that is more sustainable and would provide the system with the quality and quantity of necessary funding that would allow its to focus on providing the needed services to programme countries.
3. The G-77 and China holds the Resident Coordinators System in very high regard, as it provides invaluable service to our countries, especially those most vulnerable among us, and that is why the G-77 and China continues to stand firmly behind the reinvigorated System we approved in 2018.
4. In this regard, the G-77 and China would not support any form of weakening of our original agreements, especially when it comes to the funding arrangement. The Group is committed to work on a strengthened hybrid model to ensure that the System attains the expected level of funding that is required, and therefore we look forward to continuing our engagement on this.
5. The G-77 and China remains very concerned with the deliberate acts to reduce and to walk back commitments made to the RC system, and we believe that in 2018 when we approved the changes, we were very cognizant of the importance of having it well-funded. We stand by that and we appeal to all contributors to the System to not only recommit to this, but to seek ways to enhance the funding.
6. In this very unprecedented time with developing countries struggling with the devastating impacts of COVID-19 and climate change, and with only nine years left to regain some footing on the implementation of the 2030 Agenda, it is critically important that we have a well-funded, well-functioning and fully operationalized RC System, noting the vital role that it continues to play in programme countries.
7. The G-77 and China reiterates its commitment to this process and is ready to continue its constructive engagement to have a progressive and enhanced arrangement for the RC System.
I thank you.