STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY MR. UMER YOUNIS, THIRD SECRETARY, PERMANENT MISSION OF PAKISTAN TO THE UNITED NATIONS, FOR THE INTRODUCTION OF DRAFT RESOLUTION A/76/L.47 ENTITLED "DOHA PROGRAMME OF ACTION FOR THE LEAST DEVELOPED COUNTRIES" (New York, 1 April 2022)
1. Pakistan has the honor to introduce resolution A/76/L.47 entitled 'Doha Programme of Action for the Least Developed Countries' on behalf of the G77 and China.
2. The First Part of the Fifth United Nations Conference on the Least Developed Countries was held on 17 March 2022 and adopted by consensus the Doha Programme of Action for Least Developed Countries for the Decade 2022 to 2031.
3. The conclusion of the Istanbul Programme of Action came at a time when the fallout of the COVID-19 pandemic reversed years of hard-earned progress around the world, in particular for the LDCs.
4. A sustainable and inclusive recovery from the Pandemic will require immediate and concerted action and a new generation of revived global partnerships, based on scaled-up and ambitious means of implementation.
5. The Doha Programme of Action, with its 6 key focus areas, is a step in that direction.
6. Full implementation of the Doha Programme of Action will help the LDCs to address the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic as well as the resulting negative socio-economic impacts, return to a pathway to achieve the SDGs, address climate change challenges, and makes strides towards sustainable and irreversible graduation.
7. The Second Part of the Conference, which is to be held in Doha, Qatar from 5-9 March 2023, will reinforce the political momentum for this action through this resolution.
I thank you.