STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY MR. MUHAMMAD JAWAD AJMAL, G77 & CHINA COORDINATOR FROM THE PERMANENT MISSION OF PAKISTAN TO THE UNITED NATIONS, ON AGENDA ITEM 140: IMPROVING THE FINANCIAL SITUATION OF THE UNITED NATIONS, DURING THE SECOND PART OF THE SEVENTY-SIXTH RESUMED SESSION OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY (New York, 12 May 2022)
1. I have the honor to deliver this statement on behalf of the Group of 77 and China on Agenda Item 140: Improving the financial situation of the United Nations.
2. Our Group would like to thank the Secretariat for the presentation of Addendum 1 to the Report of the Secretary General on this very important item that relates to the financial health of this Organization. The Group also expresses its appreciation to the Office of Contributions for the updated information on the assessments of Member States, and its continued support to Member States, in these very difficult times.
3. We are seriously concerned at the continuing liquidity crisis of the organization with no sustainable end in sight. It is quite evident that the current situation if allowed to persist would seriously be affecting the ability of this organization to function effectively.
4. As noted in the Addendum report, the unpaid assessed contributions as at 30 April 2022 were $154 million more than as at 30 April 2021, indicating a problematic trend in payments for regular budget.
5. Similarly, for peacekeeping operations, the level of unpaid assessments as at 30 April 2022 was $2.8 billion, which is $341 million more than that last year on 30 April 2021.
6. Our Group would like to highlight the importance of payments of assessed contributions by member states as key to addressing the current challenges being faced by the organization in terms of financial health. Of particular emphasis are those member states with the highest arrears that have seriously impacted the organization's financial situation. We reiterate the need for all Member States to pay in full, on time and without conditions.
7. Despite bearing an ever-increasing share of the financial burden of the Organization, the Group remains committed to participate constructively in any efforts towards resolving the financial difficulties of the Organization.
I thank you, Mr. Chair.