STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY DR. MARIAM SHAIKH, COUNSELOR, PERMANENT MISSION OF PAKISTAN TO THE UN, DURING THE CLOSING SESSION OF THE GENERAL DEBATE OF THE FORTY-FOURTH ANNUAL SESSION OF THE COMMITTEE ON INFORMATION (New York, 13 May 2022)
The Under Secretary General of Global Communications,
1. I am honored to deliver this statement on behalf of the Group of 77 and China at the closing of 44th Session of Committee on Information this year.
2. The Group 77 and China welcomes the adoption of the G77 proposed resolution by Consensus.
3. Allow me to congratulate our distinguished delegates, and representatives of groups, for reaching a consensus on this year's resolution. We thank them for their constructive engagement with the G77 and China with a sense of responsibility to ensure a smooth and a successful outcome of the Session.
4. I thank the Department of Global Communications, all the members of CoI Secretariat, and also the members of G77 and China Secretariat for providing an enabling environment and excellent support during the course of this session.
5. Group of 77 and China's objective through the adoption of the resolution was to ensure renewed momentum and support for the Department of Global Communications and the work of the United Nations, and we believe we have made an important progress in this regard.
6. On this occasion, the Group 77 and China would also like to draw attention to a recent incident, which is a matter of grave concern:
7. Bearing in mind that impunity for attacks against journalists remains one of the greatest challenges to the safety of journalists and that ensuring accountability for crimes committed against journalists is a key element in preventing future attacks, we condemn the recent shocking killing of Palestinian- American Al Jazeera journalist Shireen Abu Akleh.
8. We send our condolences to her family; to the Palestinian people; to the Al Jazeera team; and to the international media community.
9. We call for an immediate, international, impartial, independent, and effective investigation into her killing, and stress the need for accountability.
10. I thank you.