STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY MR. JIBRAN KHAN DURRANI, FIRST SECETARY AT THE PERMANENT MISSION OF PAKISTAN TO THE UNITED NATIONS, ON AGENDA ITEM 137(D): PROGRAMME BUDGET FOR 2022: UN OFFICE FOR PARTNERSHIPS, AT THE FIFTH COMMITTEE DURING THE MAIN PART OF THE SEVENTY-SEVENTH SESSION OF THE UNITED NATIONS GENERAL ASSEMBLY (New York, 13 October 2022)
1. I have the honor to deliver this statement on behalf of the Group of 77 and China and thank the Secretary General for his report contained in the document A/77/320 on the activities of the United Nations Office for Partnerships as per the request of General Assembly decisions 52/466 and 53/475.
2. The Group commends the United Nations Office for Partnerships for its work in advancing the implementation of the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals and for providing partnership advisory and outreach services in response to the demands of the United Nations system and its Member States.
3. For the year 2021, the group notes two new initiatives: a $20 million investment in the "Women Rise for All" to promote the health and economic empowerment of women for a fair recovery from the pandemic; and a $24 million investment in the New Frontiers in Research Fund for the post-pandemic recovery. With regards to Covid-19 solidarity fund, we note that the UN foundation has concluded its role in 2021 and contributed well in mobilizing private contributions to the Fund.
4. The group further notes the effective use of social media platforms for public through SDG's advocates. We noted improved trends of funding in the fifteen and sixteen round of funding to the United Nations Democracy Fund.
5. The Group deliberated on the reports on Democracy in Action in various countries. We also observed increased activity in UN fund for international partnership in global health and girls in education.
6. Finally, we note that UN foundation has been acting as fiscal agent for various UN entities and has funneled $2.2 million as per its fiduciary agreements in 2021. The group may want to know more about it in later consultations.
7. The Group encourages UNOP to strengthen partnerships with regional and sub-regional organizations and to support the development efforts of developing countries. The Group also encourages UNOP to enhance accountability and transparency in the future.
I thank you, Mr Chair.