Statement by the Group of 77 and China during meeting of the Regular Budget and TCF Targets for 2016-2017,
delivered by the Chairman of the Group of 77, H.E. Ambassador Armin ANDEREYA, Permanent Representative of Chile
Vienna, 22 April 2015
1. The Group of 77 and China thanks the co-chairs of the Working Group on the Budget and TCF Targets for this opportunity to discuss issues related to the TCF Targets and the Regular Budget for the Biennium 2016-2017 and thanks the Secretariat for the preparation of a revised proposal for the Budget and Programme.
2. In light of recent discussions in the Working Group on the Regular Budget and the TCF Targets the Group would like to make the following points:
• The Group of 77 and China reiterates that Member States should be guided in their detirmination on the TCF Target for the Biennium 2016-2017 by previous decisions of the Board, recommendations of the Working Group on Financing the Agency’s Activities (WGFAA) and established practices of the Agency. In this regard the Group would like to recall the Board decision as contained in GOV/2013/30/Rev.1 that the Indicative Planning Figure (IPF) for 2016 will be not less than 92 million US Dollars in 2016 and 92.5 million USD in 2017 and that these figures will be the starting point for negotiations on the TCF Target for 2016 and 2017. The Group would also like to recall the practice of the Agency to apply the rate of exchange on the day which the Board agrees on the Regular Budget and TCF Target.
• It is with this understanding and following the recommedation made in WGFAA that the Group is ready to set the IPF in EURO for the Biennium 2018-2019.
• As an innitial reaction to the Secretariat’s revised proposal for the Programme and Budget, the Group reiterates its view that the proposed increase of 2.9 % is not sufficient if the TC Department is to deliver a Technical Cooperation Programme that meets the needs and requirements of all Member States.
3. The Group would also like to comment briefly on the paper provided by the Secretariat yesterday evening on the impact of the TCF Target and the IPF. The language under section C, first line, should read “The Board of Governors approved the recommendations contained in GOV/2013/30/ Rev.1…..”