G-77 AND CHINA STATEMENT ON THE 5TH SESSION OF THE OPEN-ENDED INTERGOVERNMENTAL WORKING GROUP ON THE PREVENTION OF CORRUPTION DELIVERED BY H.E. AMBASSADOR LOURDES O. YPARRAGUIRRE,
PERMANENT REPRESENTATIVE OF THE PHILIPPINES
Vienna, 8 September 2014
1. I have the honor to speak on behalf of the Group of 77 and China. It is my pleasure to express our sincere congratulations for your election to chair this 5th Session of the Open-ended intergovernmental Working Group on the Prevention of Corruption.
2. The Group wishes also to thank the Secretariat for the preparation of this meeting and for making documents available in a timely manner.
3. Developing and promoting effective policies and practices aimed preventing corruption play a key role in the fight against this scourge.
4. In this context, and in view of the upcoming review of the implementation of Chapter II of the UNCAC, we reiterate the importance of effective implementation putting in place the pertinent provisions on prevention set forth in the Convention. For this implementation process, we call upon all States Parties to develop and implement or maintain effective, coordinated anti-corruption policies that promote the participation of society and reflect the principles of the rule of law, proper management of public affairs and public property, integrity, transparency and accountability, in accordance with the fundamental principles of their legal systems. Also at the regional and international level it calls for enhanced cooperation, coordination of efforts and, upon request, technical assistance.
5. We believe that technical assistance is a crosscutting issue throughout the Convention, and is vital for its effective and efficient implementation. In this regard, we would like to commend the Secretariat for their continuous efforts in providing a broad set of tailored technical assistance activities at the global, regional and national levels and in developing tools covering the scope of the Convention to meet the growing demands of Member States. Furthermore, we call for a sustainable funding for the activities of the Secretariat in this field, thus allowing appropriate responses to the growing number of technical assistance request by States Parties.
6. We strongly welcome the effective preventive measures taken by Member States in the context of the implementation of art. 6 of the UNCAC, which in particular aims at strengthening the effective role of the anti-corruption bodies.
7. We also welcome the adoption by the 5th session of Conference of States parties to the UNCAC of the resolution 5/4 untitled “Follow-Up To The Marrakech Declaration On The Prevention Of Corruption” which has decided the continuation of the work of this Working Group on prevention, as it represents a significant platform for the exchange of information and experiences among States on measures and practices in this field".
8. In conclusion, we wish to assure you of our support and will fully contribute in the discussion in a constructive manner.