STATEMENT/POSITION OF THE G-77 AND CHINA ON THE REVIEW MECHANISM OF UNTOC, DELIVERED BY MR. ANDRES LAMOLLIATE, PERMANENT MISSION OF CHILE
Vienna, 28 September 2015
Mr. Chair, [Ambassador Hussam Al Husseini, PR of Jordan]
The Group of 77 and China is pleased to see you leading this process and welcomes your efforts made to actively engage with all delegations in consultations on the possible adoption of a review mechanism or mechanisms.
We look forward to a balanced outcome of these consultations, taking into account resolution 5/5.
The Group wishes to reiterate its position regarding the following elements, which need to be preserved in the efforts to establish such review mechanism:
• First, any review mechanism shall be fully consistent with the Convention, as well as with the principles and characteristics set out by the Conference in Resolutions 5/5;
• Second, the review mechanism shall be a tool to assist States Parties in identifying and substantiating specific needs to promote and facilitate the provision of technical assistance in order to strengthen international cooperation. Therefore, funding for such technical assistance, being a core element of the review mechanism, needs to be incorporated in the funding structure of such mechanism;
• Third, the core elements of the review mechanism should be funded from the regular budget of the United Nations.
• Fourth, the mechanism should be based on a peer review.
• Fifth, the mechanism shall be transparent, efficient, non-intrusive, intergovernmental, inclusive and impartial.
The Group of 77 and China is confident of the successful outcome of this exercise under your able leadership. You can count on the full support of our Group.