STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY AMBASSADOR BOUBACAR DIALLO, G-77 COORDINATOR, PERMANENT MISSION OF THE REPUBLIC OF GUINEA TO THE UN, AT THE INFORMAL DIALOGUE FOR THE UN PLEDGING CONFERENCE FOR DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES (New York, 20 April 2021)
1. I have the honour to deliver this statement on behalf of the Group of 77 and China.
2. Let me first express the Group's appreciation to you, facilitator, for accepting this important task of leading the informal dialogue to explore possible alternative for the United Nations Pledging Conference for Development Activities.
3. We thank the Facilitator for the preparation of the background document and for conveying today's meeting.
4. The informal dialogue is timely. Taking into account the current juncture of the global pandemic and the ongoing processes, particularly the repositioning of the United Nations Development System.
5. The overall environment and the context within which the United Nations Development System operates has changed substantially since the adoption of the 2030 Agenda. We strongly believe that this new process can be beneficial to everyone, including partners and major donors, specially in helping achieve the SDGs and leaving no one behind.
6. The Group acknowledges that while a lot has been done, there is a far way to go to bring about the significant changes in funding to successfully implement the repositioning of the UNDS. funds and programmes of the United Nations system should increase their cooperation with the Bretton Woods institutions and the regional banks so as to increase their complementarity and encourage sharing of tasks.
7. The Group Highlights the concerns raised around the unbalance of core and non-core resources, particularly in the context of the response to the COVID-19 Pandemic, where more flexibility on the use of funding is needed, which can be better served by a better allocation of core resources with adequate funding strategy and political will of Member States to support United Nations development activities.
8. Although the G-77 and China does not often participate as a group, there are some members that do participate in conference. Core funding from programme countries has increased, growing the core share of total contributions from programme countries.
9. The Pledging Conference for development activities, is the lead mechanism for generating resources for development activities. It is not only a fundraising mechanism for governments to pledge their political will in support of development. A comprehensive approach to visibility, will be important to ensure that all partners involved are proper recognized.
10. We regret that the pledging conference had lost the support and active participation of most major donors. It does have a political value and we should seize this opportunity to renew its importance and highlight its positive impact on the UNDS. Therefore, the Pledging Conference, while considering alternatives, should tackle the root cause of reduced funding, ensure political visibility and programme accountability.
11. The UN Pledging Conference for development activities should increase the focus to development-related activities. Resources used for humanitarian activities, though very important for the group, have more than double and now roughly equal the amount of funding for development activities.
12. The G-77 strongly believes on the value of the annual united nations pledging conference for development activities, as the lead mechanism for generating resources for operational activities and to reiterate the political will to support the UNDS. At the same time, the Group welcomes the informal dialogue as there is a need for longer- term strategic planning in order to build back better and inclusively becomes paramount.
13. In closing, the Group of 77 and China would like to express our appreciation to all delegations for their general views and comments.
I thank you.