STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE GROUP OF 77 AND CHINA BY H.E. AMBASSADOR ALY DIANE, PERMANENT REPRESENTATIVE OF THE REPUBLIC OF GUINEA TO THE UNITED NATIONS, AT THE PLENARY MEETING OF THE SECOND COMMITTEE OF THE UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY ON THE REVITALIZATION OF ITS WORK (New York, 30 June 2021)
Mr. Chair, Distinguished delegates,
1. I have the honor to deliver this statement on behalf of the Group of 77 and China.
2. At the outset, allow me to extend to you, esteemed Mr. Chairman, your team and the Bureau of the Second Committee, our heartfelt appreciation and gratitude for your exemplary leadership and stewardship of the work of the Committee during these very difficult and unprecedented times.
3. The Group of 77 and China applauds you and the Bureau for your work in order to ensure a successful conclusion of our deliberations on the revitalization of the Committee's work.
4. In doing so, we remain cognizant that the measures adopted to adjust the Committee's work program in response to the situation due to the COVID-19 pandemic are not to set a precedent for future sessions. We are hopeful that we are gradually returning to some form of normalcy and continue with our work in full to meet our commitments under the 2030 Agenda.
5. The Group of 77 and China accords a high level of importance to the revitalization of the work of the Second Committee. In this regard, we will continue to engage constructively under this agenda item, with a view to ensuring that the work of the Second Committee is conducted in a manner that gives greater impact and relevance to its intended purpose.
6. The Group is of the firm conviction that its engagement in the revitalization of the work of the Second Committee aims to strengthen the work of the Committee, enhance international development, and accelerate the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. It is the firm belief of the Group that development must remain at the core of the work of the Second Committee.
7. We emphasize that the full and effective implementation of the 2030 Agenda in its entirety is of the utmost importance for our work in the Committee, with a primary focus on the eradication of poverty in all its forms and dimensions, as the overarching objective of the 2030 Agenda.
8. Moreover, with a view to further improving the work of the Committee, the Group believes that solidarity and a multilateral approach centered on the United Nations, is critical to our collective efforts.
9. In this vein, we note with grave concern that the COVID-19 pandemic, has brought severe disruptions to societies and economies, with devastating impacts on lives and livelihoods. It has already reversed development gains achieved over decades, it has presented increased and unforeseen challenges for all developing countries, including the most vulnerable countries and those facing specific challenges. The full impact of the pandemic is not yet clear, but its socio-economic fallout will directly influence the work of the Committee, against the backdrop of the years remaining in the Decade of Action and delivering of services.
10. Permit me, therefore, to reiterate some crucial positions of the Group on the revitalization of the work of the Second Committee.
11. Firstly, the Group wishes to maintain for the immediate future, UN medical protocol permitting, business continuity modalities of the Committee which existed prior to the pandemic.
12. Under the proposals for the General Debate and Discussions, the Group wishes to reiterate the importance of delegations being able to make statements in the general debate and also under general discussions of individual agenda items, as we believe the focus of these interventions are different and complimentary and are of great importance for developing countries.
13. The Group reaffirms the inalienable right of all delegations to table new proposals for introduction of additional agenda items, or new draft resolutions under existing items, as a fundamental and crucial element in the discussion of Revitalization of the work of the Second Committee.
14. The Group of 77 and China wishes to reaffirm that the work of the Second Committee and of the UN, extend beyond the 2030 Agenda and is relevant to issues not adequately addressed by Second Committee in the 2030 Agenda. Any attempt to concentrate the work of the Second Committee only around the 2030 Agenda represents a vaguely narrow perspective and a grave misconstruction of the intended purposes of the Second Committee.
15. Moreover, the Group underscores that the relevance of agenda items and resolutions, as well as their periodicity, should be carefully taken into consideration, on a case-by-case basis, with clear reasoning and accurate argument, and always based on the consent of the proponents of the draft resolutions.
16. On the technical rollovers, the Group stresses that the current reference in the draft decision can only be interpreted with the aim to begin discussions to determine a common definition of technical rollovers, as it has been noted in the past that there is not a common understanding on its meaning. Moreover, the Group stresses that this is in no way an agreement or willingness from the Group in order to apply technical rollovers to the resolutions of the Second Committee in future sessions, in particular to the ones that are presented on behalf of the Group of 77 and China.
17. Finally, the Group of 77 and China is happy to join consensus today on the draft decision on the revitalization of the Committee's work. We would like to stress, however, that we should allow the Committee sufficient time to adjust to the mandates contained in this decision and that of the 74th session, some of which are yet to be implemented during the 76th session. We should properly assess and evaluate the impact of the implementation of those changes in the Committee's work and its working methods, before we engage to make further changes. In that light, we commend the decision to follow up on the implementation of the present decision at its seventy-seventh session.
18. In concluding, the Group of 77 and China reiterates its commitment to engaging constructively and in good faith with all partners in future sessions, to enhance the work of the Committee, while ensuring that through our work we are able to effectively and efficiently contribute to the realization of the full implementation of the 2030 Agenda, as an integral part of the General Assembly.
I thank you.